Monday, October 16, 2006

Headline: Woman Pukes on N Train; Passengers Look On, Indifferent

MANHATTAN- This morning, around 9:25am Eastern, while riding on the express N train uptown and right as I realized I was getting close to being late to my job, something caught my eye. A well-dressed woman of approximately 30 years of age covered her mouth and lunged forward from her seat. She convulsed in this way two or three times before spurting a clear liquied all over the floor. I watched in horror thinking maybe I should help her. I've seen puke on the train before, but it was from the mouth of a desperately and prematurely drunk young woman at 11:30 PM on a Friday. This is Monday morning people. And we're not talking "blowing chunks." There were no chunks, just liquid. She sat there wiping her nose and trying not to cry until she and coincidentally, I got off at 57th St. I was blown away at people's indifference to the situation. In most cases, the person is irretrievably drunk and/or crazy and so their vomit is their problem. But this was some sweet lady on the way to work who ralphed and was really embarassed, and everyone just stared or moved to a different part of the traincar. Of course, the puke started to slide down the floor as the train lurched forward and I even considered moving but it was too mean, so I just moved my feet.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you don't have to be afraid to stick your neck out for folks in that city. what's the worst that can happen? the other indifferent train passengewrs will think you're showing off, or sticking your nose where it doesn't belong? the beauty of New York and other dense metropolises is that you are inevitably and inextricably involved in the lives of everyone around you. New Yorkers train themselves to ignore that fact. But it just takes one moment to decide to step up and become what you already are to anyone in need: thier brother or thier sister; their mother of their father; their guardian.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(this is leah!)
i think you would be a great at coming up with titles for newspapers.
i'm sorry about this incident.
it might make one think that not only chivalry, but kindness too is dead.
hopefully not.
even that you wrote about it is a little hope.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home