Sunday, March 18, 2007

Birthday Weekend

Since yesterday morning a dog has been crying somewhere in my building. He misses someone or he is without food and water or is trapped. He probably just misses someone and isn't getting enough sun or green grass. There are so many dogs here. New York City is full of them. Overflowing out of apartments, all the sidewalks smeared with shit reguardless of the owners picking up after their friends. There is still the smear. So I went to the building super about this crying dog and he was on the phone so sort of half-way talked to me and told his friend on the phone to hold on and tried to restrain and quiet his own inside-dog. He said, no I haven't heard the crying dog. I think that it's Boris. Okay, thank you for telling me. And the crying continues.

My birthday party turned out somewhat disappointing because of the ridiculous onslaught of freezing rain and snow that began early Friday morning and didn't let up until after the party had come to a close. We (me and my faithful attendees) ate a few things that I prepared, drank wine, ate a beautiful cake from a local patisserie, attempted to dance a little bit and mingled for hours. The stragglers and I ended up at our local pub for a few night caps. I dressed very nicely in my "best man" dress from my brother's wedding. It is wonderful I've gotten so much use out of that dress. What I made: hearts of palm with olive oil, lemon juice, salt &pepper, goat cheese surrounded by tiny artichoke hearts and loads of thinly sliced salami, a large bowl of tiny toasts, caprece salad composed of sliced fresh mozzarella, fresh basil leaves, and sliced roma tomatoes, drizzled with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I bought a cheap bottle of delicious Chilean red wine. The evening was wonderful, I for some reason keep thinking about it and being disappointed though. I think it is because I never have parties and I won't have another for quite some time and I still haven't seen all these people that live here that I know or knew.

There were some other things I wrote about today but can't find the courage to publish. I feel like I'm letting Noah Dassel down by not being completely honest. It never feels like the right time though.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you find out about that crying dog. It gets depressing at times to hear a dog or cat crying.
robert swayze

7:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Be brave, sweets. You're still you and everyone will love you no matter what you say. Remember. . ."violently honest. . ."

8:28 PM  
Blogger Persimmon Perspective said...

How can we be honest? We've got a whole pile of thoughtlets swirling around at any moment and the mix changes and what was pressing a moment before is superfluous. So many of the things that seem so important are at the forefront because they hurt us, somehow, and the incident(s)induce(s) chemical markers associated with them and keep them strong in our memory. Other times it's like when Max the schnauser encounters a urine smell in the grass - it's there, but is it so important that he will break his windpipe just to thrust his schnaus deep into it?
My SO wakes from a dream and the chemicals that got sqouirted are there and real. If I were one of the bad guys in the dream, her feelings are the same as if I really did whatever her brain did. So, she can say, honestly that her feelings about me are negatively changed, even though no events affected her feelings.
Then what can we say about being honest about our feelings? Sometimes all we can say is that the whole thing is a swirl and some of the swirl might hurt somebody else or me if expressed verbally or on paper or flip-flops. Sometimes just let it pass, if it's still there after time, let it out. yodaddy

10:37 AM  
Blogger Persimmon Perspective said...

btw - antipasti sounds fab

one rule about writing I havee learned: you can always write about something else later.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sounds like my first birthday party in new york. or some thing like it. i didn't really anybody, so amy just invited alot of her weird college friends. it was pretty awkward. i just sat around and smoked too much.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

we need a fresh blog. this one has grown stale.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Noah Dassel said...

hudson.



you seem to have stirred the old turd with that last comment.

interesting to read what some of your viewers have written about honesty. it's fucking hard, huh? this whole instantaneous publication forum:

think-it
write-it
share-it

i agree with amy - "be brave sweets" 'cause we'll keep loving you.

also like what pp writes about the flittering concept of honesty and if it's there even after the impulse of the situation subsides, spill it.

there's also something totally pure about writing from the moment. maybe not prettily packaged and crisply concocted, but a bullet-hole fired from the gut-barrel of

that second.

in any case, you've got our attention.



nbd

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home